5.24.2016

curly hair to pixie cut

Over the years I've had my fair share of bad haircuts.  My hair is quite thick and coarse and I think that's what always threw stylists for a loop.  There was a lot more body than they were expecting and my hair really needs A LOT of moisture.  Until a few years ago I never really understood how my hair behaved, so that wasn't helpful either.  Because of the past bad haircuts I've been cutting my hair myself for the past two years.

About a month ago I finally caved in and got a real haircut. I had done a pretty good job on my own, but I knew there were uneven places and I was frustrated my hair wasn't curling very well on its own.  I thought about just getting a trim and some layers, but I've always wanted to try a super short style, and since I had already gone through the work of finding a good stylist, I decided to go for it.

I ended up seeing Shannon at Selah Hair Design.  I e-mailed her before booking an appointment and described the characteristics of my hair and the kind of style I wanted.  She loved all of the information I gave her and we talked even more at the appointment about my hair and how to cut it.  She understood exactly what I wanted and even took into account how I usually style my hair, which I really loved because I feel like some stylists try to impose their methods on your hair and don't listen to how you already take care of it.  I showed her pictures (here and here) and we agreed the style would work well with my hair.



I loved working on my hair with Shannon and I will definitely be going back next time I need a haircut.  The only downside is that my hair hasn't been curling as much as I thought it would after the haircut.  The second set of pictures shows my hair the day after I got it cut and that's pretty much the curliest it's been since then.  What little curl and wave I was able to achieve became completely flat over night and there was no reviving it the next day.  I think my curl pattern just isn't tight enough for it to really curl at this length.  It's a lot easier to get it to lay flat and straight than be curly.

I knew that short hair styles require a lot of upkeep to maintain the style and I also knew I wouldn't be able to do that because I can't afford to get a haircut every month.  In the past I've noticed that my hair tends to grown pretty quickly, but I was really surprised when I started comparing the photos above.  I wouldn't say that it has grown a full inch in just one month, but maybe half an inch or somewhere in between?  It'll probably grow into a mullet at some point and then I'll either have to trim it myself or go in for another hair cut just to clean things up while it continues to grow out.

My husband keeps asking me if my curls are gone for forever.  I don't think they are.  I think my hair is just too short right now.  I'm sure they'll show up again may be in another month or two.  And if they don't then I'll just have a new hairstyle to play with!



No comments:

Post a Comment